Friday, August 6, 2010

Supercomputing and Some Updates

Supercomputing, Cluster Computing, and Grid Computing. These are all topics I have been interested in for quite some time, though I've never done any actual work on the topics, just some casual browsing for information and ogling pictures of different setups.

Lately I've had my interest in these topics rekindled, and now I actually have the knowledge and means to play around with all of them.  Granted, I don't have the means ($$$) to play in these areas to the extent I would like to, but I can dabble nonetheless.

Over the next few weeks and months I'll be doing some small scale experiments with different High Performance Computing (HPC) models.  Expect to see a few write-ups and updates here as I do this.

Now, onto some updates.  

I've been taking classes for most of the summer, and when not in class, I've been enjoying my time off.  Due to this, I've been extremely busy, and haven't had time to update this blog as much as I wanted to.  I don't want to be one of those bloggers who apologizes constantly for not updating, so I'm not going to apologize.  If you want me to update more often, bug me about it, otherwise, deal with it.

Another area I've been spending some time playing around in is different programming languages.  Back in the day (I love sounding old), I dabbled in PHP in addition to writing HTML and CSS by hand.  It's been a couple years, and lots of things have changed in all these areas.  These past few weeks I've been doing some basic work in more languages than just Java (what my classes have been on during the past year).  I believe I'm falling in love with programming in Scala, so expect me to post some tidbits (you'll see this word again in a minute!) on these different languages as I work my way through learning them.

In other news, my friend, Miranda, over at Tidbits for Your Wits (She changes this name way too often, so if the link breaks, sorry.  She's promised not to change it again though.) has moved to an updating everyday system of posting.  Not to be left in the dust, I'm going to be moving to a posting at least once a week system, as opposed to my current "post when I feel like it" system of blogging.

I've also added a new section to the sidebar, called "Currently Reading."  This new feature is going to show to everyone (you guessed it) what I'm currently reading.  I'll try to update it as soon as I move on to a new book (or books), but it is bound to fall behind from time to time.  At the end of each book, I'll think about posting a review, if I feel like it.

That's about it, look forward to you all reading my stuff in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment